I really like the flexibility of painted paper collage. This method slows me down and forces me to think more about what I’m doing. I began working in this way the fall of 2005. There was an exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of entitled Matisse: The Fabric of Dreams His Art and His Textiles in the summer of 05.The exhibit had a very profound effect on me. I wanted to incorporate the feelings that it stirred up into my work somehow. Months went by and I suddenly began cutting painted paper shapes. The imagery is not that different from what I was already using, but the paper cutting made it more complex - more layered - more thoughtful.
My imagery is derived from memories, dreams - all invented domestic interiors. The compositions are taken from my surroundings and borrowed from artists like Eduoard Vuillard, Velasquez, and Vermeer, etc. Family provides my cast of recurring characters. Environment provides the inspiration. Upbringing provided me with a longing to create a domestic world – one that I can control unlike the reality of family life – which is completely beyond my control. I strive to create a subtle tension - an uneasiness that is supplied by but at the same time belies the pleasant decoration of the rooms/costumes.
2004 - Vermont College, Master of Fine Arts Program
1993 - Moore College of Art and Design, Bachelor of Fine Arts
1989 - Harcum Junior College. Associate of Arts Degree, James Hutton Fine Arts award
2013 - Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
2011 - Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
2010 - Alumnae On-line Exhibition, Moore College of Art & Design website, cyberspace
2009 - Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
2008 - People / Places / Paper, Projects Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
2006 - Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
2004 - Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
- MFA Exhibition, Vermont College, Montpelier, VT.
2003 - Monmouth Art Alliance, Red Bank, NJ
2001 - Edward Williams College, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Hackensack, NJ
1999 - Kearon- Hempenstal Gallery, Christ Hospital, Jersey City, NJ
1996 - Thompson Park Visitor Center, Lincroft, NJ
- Little Silver Town Hall, Little Silver, NJ
- Moonstruck Restaurant, Ocean Grove, NJ
1995 – “Body Beautiful/Cut Outs”, Art Alliance of Monmouth County, Red Bank, NJ
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS (*indicates juried exhibition, **indicates invitational)
2013 - Hunger Mountain “First”. Vimeo group show, https://vimeo.com/groups/hungermountainfirst
- Art Vetting – be seen, Selected Artists in June 2013, https://www.artvetting.com/selected-artists/
- Women in Charge, Soho20 Chelsea Gallery, New York, NY
- “It’s About You & Me”, ABC NoRio @ Bullet Space, New York, NY
2012 - “Strange Glue: Traditional & Avant Garde Collage” Cambridge School, Weston, MA
2011 - “Folles d’Hiver”, Soho20 Chelsea Gallery, New York, NY
- “The Veil: Visible & Invisible Spaces: new,” Concordia University, MA
- “Eccentric Portraits”, Kleinhert/James Arts Center, Woodstock, NY
- “little treasure/BIG REWARDS,” Projects Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- “Women out of Time,” University Gallery, Fairleigh Dickinson University, NJ
- “The Veil: Visible & Invisible Spaces: new media,” Idaho State University, Moscow, IA
2010 - Resurrections: ECO-logy and ECO-nomy: A Functional Trash-Art Exhibition, Canyon Gallery, Boulder, CO
2009 - INPLACE, Soho20 Gallery, NY
- Toronto Art Fair, [Projects Gallery Booth], Toronto CA
- Bridge Art Fair [Projects Gallery Booth], New York, NY
- “Obama-rama”, Projects Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
2008 – “Paper”, Projects Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- “May – Month of the Madonna”, The National Museum of Catholic Art & History, New York, NY
- **“The Veil: Visible & Invisible Space,” Traveling: Dairy Center for the Arts, Boulder CO (May 2008), University of Arkansas-Fayetteville (September 2008) University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (November 2008)
- “Child’s Play,” Projects Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- Red Dot Art Fair, New York, NY, represented by Projects Gallery
- “Back From Miami,” Projects Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- START08, Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
2007 - Bridge and Red Dot Art Fairs, Miami, FL, represented by Projects Gallery
- “Paper Cuts,” Projects Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- “Six Chix,” Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
- **“Translation: Dreams/Nightmares,” Backroads Gallery, Damariscotta, ME
- National Association of Women Artists New Members Show, New York, NY
- Red Dot Art Fair, New York, NY, represented by Projects Gallery
- *“Not Just Paint,” Gallery 291, Eastfield College, Dallas, TX
2006 - *“Light,” Alumnae Exhibition, Moore College of Art & Design, Philadelphia, PA
- “Wild Women,” 55 Mercer Gallery, New York, NY
- **”Self Portrait” Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
2005 - **“Small Works,” Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
- “Fall In,” Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
- *“Multiples: Am I Repeating Myself?” Alumnae Exhibition, Moore College of Art & Design, Philadelphia, PA
2004 - *Group Show, Afif Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- **“Destination: Biscay,” Backroads Gallery, Damariscotta, ME
2003 - “Group Show,” Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
2002 - “Group Show,” Soho20 Gallery, New York, NY
- **“Night and Day: An Artist’s Life,” Broome Street Gallery, New York, NY
2001 - *“Juried Show,” Bowery Gallery, New York, NY, Janet Fish – Juror
- *Nat’l Spring Open Juried Exhibition,” Wayne Art Center, Wayne, PA, Sam Hunter – Juror
- **"Monmouth Festival of the Arts", Monmouth Reform Temple, Lincroft, NJ
2000 - www.artadvocate.com, Art Advocate Gallery, New York City
1999 - *Mallette Gallery, "Bisbing and Castellana", Garden City, NYC
1998 - **"Vermont Studio Center Residency, August 1997", Gordon College, Wenham, MA
- **Freehold Corporate Gallery, Four Person Invitational, Freehold, NJ
1997 - *"18th Annual Juried Show", Monmouth Museum, Lincroft, NJ. Sponsored by the Monmouth County Arts
1997 - **Artistic License", Nabisco Foods Gallery, E. Hanover, NJ. Mary Chandor, Art Advisor.
1996 - *"Third National Show", Impact Gallery, Buffalo, NY. Juried by Carol Townsend.
1995 - *"Images 95", HUB Gallery, Penn State University, State College, PA. Juried by Tom Nakashima.
- *"Through the Eyes of Women", Sea Cliff Gallery, Sea Cliff, NY
1994 - Artforms Gallery Red Bank, NJ
2010 – Visiting Artist, Wagner College, Collage class
2007 - Vermont Studio Center Residency Grant, Artist Residency
2001 - Vermont Studio Center Residency Grant, Artist Residency
1999 - Vermont Studio Center Residency Grant, Artist Residency
1997 - Dodge Grant, $1000 Vermont Studio Center Dodge Residency Grant, Artist Residency 1995 - Monmouth County Art Alliance, Juror for "Body Beautiful / Cut Outs" Exhibition
1994 - Monmouth County Art Alliance, Member, elected to Board of Trustees by members
1992 - Narberth Art Club, Narberth, PA. Founding member of women's art group.
2011 - Touring exhibit at UK art museum covers misconceptions about veiling
Practice 'goes far beyond the narrow confines of one group or the prejudices of a moment,' says curator By Candace Chaney, LexGo magazine http://www.kentucky.com/2011/07/29/1827187/touring-exhibit-at-uk-art-museum.html
- March 12th, 2011 “ARTISTS INVESTIGATE VEILING AT THE DE SAISSET MUSEUM,” ArtShift San Jose, Lauren Baines.
2009 - April 23, 2009, StumbledUpon.com, "Elisabeth Bisbing, nice, nice collage"
- February 2009, ARTe MEDIA, http://weblogart.blogspot.com/search?q=elizabeth+bisbing
- Feb 10, 2009, Philadelphia City Paper, Hot Off the Prez Robin Rice on Visual Art: "Obama-rama" and "Guilty Pleasures" at Projects Gallery, by Robin Rice, http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2009/02/12/obama-rama-guilty-pleasures-projects-gallery
- February 4, 2009, Philadelphia Weekly, Editor's Picks, http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/articles/18217/a-e--editors-picks
- January 23, 2009, "Obama-o-Rama" and "Guilty Pleasures", Art Knowledge News, Lloyd S. Rubin, Ed, http://www.artknowledgenews.com/Obama_o_Rama_at_Projects_Gallery.html
- The Veil: Visible and Invisible Spaces,Today @ the UW-Milwaukee Union Art Gallery http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-4559-the-veil-visible-and-invisible-spaces.html
- Boulderspace –Blog Archive – The Veil: Visible and Invisible Spaces
- Projects Gallery Presents Florence Putterman & Elizabeth Bisbing
Art Knowledge News - Keeping You in Touch... - http://www.artknowledgenews.com/
- Paper at Projects in Philly No matter how you print, fold, layer ...
Daily Campello Art News - http://dcartnews.blogspot.com/
more visiting: what’s your political identity?
- Annsnewfriend's Weblog - http://antiarianna.wordpress.com/
- Florence Putterman and Elizabeth Bisbing, March 25, 2008, Ignacio Villarreal Jr, ed., Art Daily
2007 - “Backroads Gallery presents provocative show,” The Lincoln County New, Damariscotta, ME
- The Garland News, Dallas, review of Not Just Paint Exhibition
- First Friday Focus Projects Gallery, March 4, 2008, Lori Hill, Citypaper
- Child's Play To Open at Projects Gallery, February 20, 2008, Ignacio Villarreal Jr, ed., Art Daily
2006 - NY Sun, Review of Wild Women Exhibition
2001 - Distinction Magazine, April 2001 edition. Page 24, Reproduction of “Daffodils” painting
2000 - New York Magazine, April 24,2000 edition, page 32, "Picture Perfect," by Susan Dominus
2001 - City College of The City University of New York, Center for Worker Education, Courses taught – Drawing I and Intro to Studio Practices.
1998 - present Petrocelli College of General and Continuing Studies, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Courses: Cultural Arts (on-line and face to face), Core A – the Global Challenge (Distance learning - Cross Disciplinary Course). BlackBoard proficiency.